Common Causes of Electrical Fires
Electrical fires are often caused by old wiring, damaged appliances and using too many extension cables.
In this week s blog at
Worthy Electrical Services Ltd we are looking at the common causes for electrical fires in homes and how to prevent them. Old and Bad Wiring
One of the most common causes of electrical fires is when the wiring in a property is old, damaged or installed poorly. Some signs that the wiring in your home might be old or damaged include:
Crackling or Buzzing Sounds Burning Smells Scorch Marks
Houses built more than 20 years ago are more likely to have frayed or loose wiring that could spark and cause a fire. An older electrical circuit was not designed to meet the modern demands for energy, so it will need updating by a professional electrician.
Worn Outlets and Faulty Appliances
Older appliances are more likely to have worn or outdated wiring that is not safe to use. The construction, materials and safety regulations of outdated appliances such as toasters make them a high risk for electrical fires.
Faulty sockets and outlets that have not been updated recently are also more likely to spark and create a fire. Scorch marks around or on them will indicate whether the wiring is loose or outdated. These outlets need to be inspected regularly and updated and replaced by specialists if they are worn or damaged.
Many homes that are more than 20 years old do not have enough outlets for all your technology and equipment. Most homeowners have several phones, a television, tablet, laptops and more to charge every day.
If there are not enough outlets, you probably use extension cables in most rooms. This is fine as a temporary measure, but they could overheat, wear out the system, and cause a fire in the long term. This issue can be solved by installing additional wall sockets, so there is no need for extension cables.
Get in Touch
Contact our team at Worthy Electrical Services Ltd in Dulwich for more information about how you can prevent these common causes of electrical fires in your home. Call us on Find us on
020 8674 2098 or 07963 071685 or alternatively, please send us a message via the contact form for a prompt response. Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates.